1956 - John Thomson bought 385 Stamfordham Road in Westerhope, and together with his wife Florence started a small bakery called JKN & F Thomson, later changed to J & F Thomson & son when John’s son Ian joined the company.
1979 - John and Florence retired with Ian and wife Jan taking over the running of the business which was renamed Thomson’s Bakery in 2000.
2011 - The Thomson’s planned for real growth. They sold the property in Westerhope and moved into a customised unit on an industrial estate near Kingston Park. To reflect the new direction, the operation was renamed yet again as Geordie Bakers Ltd.
2013 - Geordie Bakers Ltd was taken over by new owners the Henderson and Liddicoat families. They formed a new company Minhoco 21 Limited and they brought in their existing pie business and continued to trade as Geordie Bakers. The introduction of new product ranges, aimed at the ever-changing market requirements, and a strong customer focus has led to significant sales growth and the recruitment and training of a number of new staff. Our product range now sees these new products sit alongside several of the traditional baked goods developed over 50 years ago.
2014 – The significant growth of sales continues throughout 2014. Geordie Bakers becomes established as the home of the New Zealand Gourmet Pie. The new logo reflects the situation as… The same… but different!